I am a proud Londoner with Maritime roots having been transplanted to Southwestern Ontario over 25 years ago when Smith Orthodontics first opened its doors.
As a specialist in orthodontics, I have treated thousands of smiles, using the most advanced techniques, tailored specifically to each person's needs and preferences. Communication is paramount and I pride myself on taking the time to thoroughly explain all options that speciality orthodontic care can provide. What makes me smile most is the burst of self-confidence a new smile brings.
I love what I do for a living, but outside of work, I enjoy being active - from my daily workout routine, to biking to work (I like to save on gas), I try to stay in shape. I am also an avid reader and devour books about sailing adventures (no, I don't own a boat), Ernest Shackleton (history's greatest leader) and moral philosophy (I'm partial to H. Tristram Engelhardt). You may also hear me belting out a tune or two in the clinic from time to time - I fancy myself as quite a singer (very few agree).
I am a board certified orthodontist and I hold fellowships in the Royal College of Dentists of Canada, the American College of Dentists and the International College of Dentists.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology - StFX University
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery - Dalhousie University
- Hospital Dentistry Residency - Hennepin County Medical Center
- Master of Science in Orthodontics - Marquette University
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology - Western University
Never one to rest my mind, I am currently working on a Master's degree in Bioethics from The Ohio State University.
I enjoy sharing my orthodontic expertise with the future of the profession and I am an adjunct clinical professor at the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Western University, where I teach orthodontics to both the dental students as well as the graduate orthodontic residents.
I have served my profession in a number of capacities, including:
- President, London and District Dental Society (2002, 2012)
- President, Toronto Orthodontic Club (2012)
- President, Ontario Association of Orthodontist (2015)
- Chair, American College of Dentists - Ontario Section (2016)
- President, International College of Dentists - Canadian Section (2019-2022)
I currently serve on the Board of Directors of the Great Lakes Association of Orthodontists and I am a Delegate to the House of Delegates of the American Association of Orthodontists.
- Canadian Association of Orthodontists
- Ontario Association of Orthodontists
- Great Lakes Association of Orthodontists
- Royal College of Dentists (Canada)
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Canadian Dental Association
- Ontario Dental Association
- London and District Dental Society
- International College of Dentists
- American College of Dentists
- Academy of Dentistry International
- Pierre Fauchard Academy
- American Cleft Palate Society
I make my home in London with my beautiful wife Tracy and our two amazing children Megan and Matthew.